Home > Life > The Dining Table

The Dining Table

September 21, 2012 Leave a comment Go to comments

During my tour of apartments as I was moving to Cleveland, I saw a dining table made by attaching four legs to a panel door and covering the top with glass to create a level surface. I decided to build one for myself, and instead of a funky pastel color and clips to hold the glass in place, I wanted to design something more elegant. Here is the result:

20120921-000108.jpg

20120921-001733.jpg

20120920-235718.jpg

Here are some photos of the work in progress, starting with the door as purchased from the Habitat for Humanity ReStore:

20120921-000349.jpg

20120921-000428.jpg

20120921-002343.jpg

20120921-000707.jpg

20120921-000740.jpg

About these ads
Categories: Life Tags: ,
  1. Vic
    September 21, 2012 at 8:32 am | #1

Very cool Saad. I’m glad that you “rescued” this old door instead of purchasing something new. I also like how you personalized your home – and did the work yourself. Awesome!

2. Cathy
    September 21, 2012 at 1:07 pm | #2

That’s neat! Did you add the decorative border or was that on the other side of the door? I like that detail a lot!

Tho one little constructive criticism: I wish you had used a single piece of glass- so crumbs won’t get stuck in the seam (and maybe the edges too)?

• September 21, 2012 at 6:12 pm | #3

Thanks, Cathy! The border is one of my favorite details because it looks nice and has the function of keeping the glass from sliding off. With the in-progress photos, the eventual top side of the table is shown. The door was plain on both sides – I added the border.

With an unlimited budget, yes, I would have used a single piece of glass. However, the thing is, I acquired the glass first, even before the door, from a guy selling 4 pieces like that for $25 total on Craigslist. So I felt that a low-cost solution was okay since I wasn’t sure how exactly the table would turn out overall. About the crumbs, it turns out I can vacuum them up from the crevices very easily :)

• Cathy
        September 21, 2012 at 7:12 pm | #4

Gotcha. Yep, can’t beat those Craigslist deals!

3. Angela
    September 21, 2012 at 4:04 pm | #5

Totally sweet dude!!! I am impressed!!!

4. Kari
    October 17, 2012 at 9:24 am | #6

Cool! I love projects like this.The border is my favorite part.You shouldn’t have sanded it inside though, that’s not good for ya!!

1. No trackbacks yet.